On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:34:53 +0800, "DIAMOND Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I have a problem which, in the end, comes down to making an inference about
> a difference between means, but it seems more complicated than any example I
> can find in Croxton's Applied General Statistics or Sach's Applied
> Statistics: Handbook of techniques.
>
> Subjects make dichotomous judgements, coded 0 or 1, in two quite different
> conditions. The judgement concerns whether the appearance of a probe bar in
> a 1 second interval was closer to the beginning of the interval or to the

Well, Mr Noname@noname, since I can't write to an address, I will have
to say publicly that you did a lousy job of asking the question.  Or,
maybe it particularly looks that way because it is  data from a lousy
design.

And I will follow an example that I read lately and say that I don't
feel kindly towards people who don't give a name and e-mailing
address.

Is all your analysis on one person?
Is there any consideration of RIGHT vs WRONG judgment about which is
closer (which is an obvious aspect, which goes unmentioned)?  or is
this solely a comparison of means (which is okay, but different)?

That might be so straightforward that it is trivial.  However,  there
is a huge potential for gaining strength in the comparisons, by
pairing the answers according to position of the probe bar in the
interval -- or otherwise modeling by the position.

Then there is the prospect that you have multiple persons doing the
trials.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html