Michael Atherton wrote in message

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>I work in a university environment dominated
>by constructivists.  I have been trying to find authors
>or researchers who are publishing views contrary to
>the NCTM standards...without much luck.  Can any
>one tell me who are the national figures with views
>opposed to the constructivist approach to mathematics
>education?

The following book may be of interest, though it is not about mathematics
education:

The flight from science and reason, edited by Paul R. Gross, Norman Levitt,
and Martin W. Lewis, published by The New York Academy of Sciences, 1996
(ISBN 1-57331-003-4).

The book includes contributions from various disciplines scrutinizing the
irrationalism resulting from social constructionism. The book incudes some
chapters on science education, including a critique on the constuctivistic
point of view in the National Science Education Standards.

Have a great 2000!

Rinus Voeten.