Hello,

I've kinda hit a road block trying to figure out this question, it's a
pretty basic question but it's been a while since I've taken a stats
course so perhaps I could get some hints:

Question:

A fair die is rolled 2 times.  X1 and X2 is the # of points showing on
1st and 2nd rolls.

U = X1 + X2;  V = X1 - X2.

Show that U and V are NOT independent.

> This is what I have done so far:  I've solved for the mean and
variance of both U and V.  I've found the covariance of U and V...which
is  cov(U,V) = var (X1) - var (X2).

I'm basically stuck at trying to show that there not independent.

Any advice?  Thanks in advance!

  This list is open to everyone. Occasionally, people lacking respect
  for other members of the list send messages that are inappropriate
  or unrelated to the list's discussion topics. Please just delete the
  offensive email.

  For information concerning the list, please see the following web page: