At 12:40 PM 2/10/00 +0000, sofyan2000 wrote:
>Is there a statistical test in ANOVA / MANOVA that can show the causal
>direction between 2 variables (Independent and Dependent).

i don't think so ... this is determined (if it can be at all) by the DESIGN
of the investigation ... and what you did when you called a variable
INDependent and DEpendent ...

for example ... say i experimentally vary the amount of time i allow
students to study for a test AND, on followup ... i find that the means on
the test vary positively with the amount of time i maniupated ... it seems
to me that the DESIGN says (if it can say anything) that time produces test
performance ..... surely the other way around would make no sense

what kind of data are you thinking about when you pose this question?
dennis roberts, penn state university
educational psychology, 8148632401
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/droberts.htm

  This list is open to everyone. Occasionally, people lacking respect
  for other members of the list send messages that are inappropriate
  or unrelated to the list's discussion topics. Please just delete the
  offensive email.

  For information concerning the list, please see the following web page: