Not very good at statistics, bets I did was "Introductory Econometrics"
by Ramanathan. Still got a hard question....

Suppose I want to explain number of deaths of time from a fixed pool of
people (got ur attention? :)

First I assume this is a binomial process. From the data I have
collected over time, on average 5% dies within a period.

Of coure, this number grows as the people get older. But it may also
change as some start or stop smoking, using drugs, etc. So, there are
explanatory variables that I can use to better predict deaths per
period (and age is one of them, which changes over time).

I want to specify a model that takes into account these individual
variables, but optimizes the explanation of the total death rate per
period.

How would I do that?

Normal regressions would minimize ESS with respect to predictions per
sample (person per period). But basically, the "sample" I am interest in
is the death rate per month. (Would that even matter aside from probably
different R-squares since the TSS and ESS are different? I mean could
estimator differ when trying to do what i think I am trying to do?)

I guess it is a panel data analysis problem with binomial dependant
variable.

I am not very mathematically good, but I can dig a precise conceptual
explanation with some math in it.

Kind regards,
Umfriend AKA Crass

P.S. Please help. A referal to a book dealing with panel data would be
great too.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

  This list is open to everyone. Occasionally, people lacking respect
  for other members of the list send messages that are inappropriate
  or unrelated to the list's discussion topics. Please just delete the
  offensive email.

  For information concerning the list, please see the following web page: