Those are excellent questions Thomas.  Many programs expect students to learn
statistical computing "by accident".  Statistical computing is too important for
applied statistics to let that happen.

S-Plus is an excellent statistical computing
tool.  You can look at a syllabus for a statistical computing and graphics course
I teach at the University of Virginia by looking at
http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat/teaching/statcomp/index.html

There's other information there too.  I highly recomment the book Modern
Applied Statistics with S-Plus by Venables & Ripley (Springer-Verlag,
3rd edition, 1999).

S-Plus is a powerful object-oriented language based on the S language (created
at the same place that created the C language - ATT Bell Labs - C is for
"computer" S for "statistics").  It is not extremely easy to learn but is easier
than C.

Different universities tend to use different statistical languages/packages, so you
may want to find out what is taught at each place.

Frank E Harrell Jr
Professor of Biostatistics and Statistics
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
Department of Health Evaluation Sciences
University of Virginia School of Medicine