I'm a novice to growth curve modeling. My content area is
cognitive/neuropsychological recovery following traumatic brain injury.
My subjects have tested on multiple, yearly occasions.

I've had some minimal experience in model fitting with the software
package HLM, but wanted advice from list members regarding the relative
merits of different approaches to growth curve modeling as well as
recommendations for software (HLM vs Mplus vs AMOS vs LISREL vs EQS vs
MLwiN).

If my basic understanding is correct, it seems that there are
differences:  varying coefficient models ("slopes-as-intercepts") vs
random coefficient models vs latent growth curve models.

Thanks!
Scott Millis