a lot of this depends on who the target audience is .... is it adults in
general? those who have interest in computers? those who 'do' email? those
who are on email lists?
this is your first concern

then, after deciding on the above ... one has to assess IF a sampling plan
will get TO those folks in some representative way ... using the internet?

for example ... what if you really were interested in a target audience of
email users ... and users of lists in particular ... which lists do you
survey on? how do you get access to these?
and ... we all know of course that on lists ... you have active
participants and .... lurkers ... how do you get representativeness from
each of these subgroups?

what seems like a simple notion is very complicated