Hi Julian,

I have had a quick look at your data set. I decided the achievement
categories were ordinal and numbered them 1 to 4. I looked at scattergraphs
of grade versus frequency grouped by gender and also grouped by subject.
There didn't seem to be a lot of gender difference apart from those not
attempting French. There were more subject differences - a lot did not
attempt French, maths did better than French in grades c and d.

I did a chi^2 test for gender differences in the grades. It was significant
at 0.1 but not at 0.05. The subject difference in the grades was much more
significant. For these I used a 4 by 2 table adding the appropriate
frequencies for each cell.
 Looking at your question I see you asked for gender difference in grades
for the subjects separately. I combined the two. It would be easy to do them
separately.

I hope this helps.

Greg