Dear survival analysis experts,
can anybody give me some information about frailty models in S-Plus
2000?

Is it possible to fit univariate frailty models in S-PLUS? Evaluating
the hazards of two treatment groups I detected a cross-over phenomenom.
I think it results from a selection effect of the frailty type due to a
heterogenous subpopulation. The heterogeneity can result in a "pulled
down" hazard rate with increasing time. In my data set the frailty seems
to influence the relative risk which is a decreasing function of time
and a cross-over takes place when the high risk group becomes the low
risk group. Does anybody know how to test this hypothesis with S-Plus
using a univariate frailty model. I tried it with the function
"frailty.gamma" assuming a Gamma frailty distribution. I didn't know how
to use the options of this function, especially the df option.
If I have only one survival time per ind. (univariate data) and  I use
the function without option parameters I have no df left for a test of
the frailty term.
How to set the df and the other parameters to solve my problem?:
I want to estimate the variance parameter of the frailty distribution to
assess heterogenity.
The idea is the following:
If homogeneity is present the survival times in a specific covariate
pattern (subpopulation) should be distributed only by random error-the
frailty variance should be small.
If there is heterogeneity in a specific subpopulation due to some more
FRAIL individuals (with a large frailty term) which die earlier there
should be a frailty variance significantly different from zero.
Thanks in advance
Bernd Genser