On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:55:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all,
> This is a question on Log-Reg methodology.
> How can I evaluate the individual influence of each variable in the
> prediction of the logistic regression?.

 - this is almost identical to considering OLS regression.  You are
looking at "partial" regression coefficients when you have the whole
equation.

The logistic solution has potentially *two* tests for contribution of
the single variable -- the curvature of the likelihood space (second
derivative) might not give exactly the same answer as the change in
the Log-Likelihood chi-squared when deleting the variable.  The thing
to note about that is whether it happens:  if the tests differ, it
indicates some instability or non-robustness in the solution.

> I usually perform a logistic regression with forward selection so, I
> have the order of variables entered in the model.
> Now, to compare the individual influence, which statistic should I
> use? How correlation between variables is taken in account? Is it
> correct to perform individual log-reg
> for each variable and then compare the predictions?

Doing step-wise entry of variables for logistic is just as bad an idea
as it is for OLS regression.  Especially relevant for small N:  Note
that logistic is even *worse*  than OLS about capitalizing on chance.
You can read about stepwise, and references, in my stats-FAQ.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html