In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
j. williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Some of us in the minority would not follow what might be "fashionable."  I am
>one of those who believe hypothesis testing is still an important and integral
>part of statistics.  Hypothesis testing is but one tool in the whole arsenal
>however.  OTH, I'm an old guy who went through graduate school way back in the
>60s.  Teaching old dogs new tricks is not easy, right?  If such a vote were
>taken today with the results suggested by Mr.Roberts, I know I have
>successfully misled literally thousands of students.  Would re-education be the
>answer?

Properly done, hypothesis testing is necessary.  But the
question is, should we act as if the hypothesis is true?

Even if the null hypothesis as usually stated MAY be true,
what is testing is whether data come from a particular
distribution, and this is not going to be the case.  We
do not measure the speed of light in vacuum; we can only
approximate by our measurements.
--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558