At 01:16 PM 4/10/00 -0300, Robert Dawson wrote:

>     No.... if you have to start "a more sensible null would be perhaps" you
>almost surely do not have a hypothesis worth testing.

now we get to the crux of the matter ... WHY do we need a null ... or any
hypothesis ... (credible and/or sensible) to test??? what is the scientific
need for this? what is the rationale within statistical exploration for this?

i am not suggesting that we don't need or must not deal with inferences
from sample data to what parameters might be ... but, i fail to see WHY
that necessarily means that one has to have a null hypothesis of any kind

perhaps this is what needs to be debated more ... what function does having
a hypothesis really have? if any ...

it would be useful if we could have some short listing of reasons why ....
and, some examples where WITHOUT a hypothesis, we are unable to make any
scientific progress