Michael Granaas wrote:

> I have in my own mind been using "plausible" to refer to a hypothesis that
> has not been refuted by data.  We may certainly find at some point that
> the hypothesis is in fact false, but at the time we propose it it could be
> true.  We may even wish it to be false at the time we propose it.  But as
> of the time we propose it we cannot say with conviction that it is false.

> The only context for your example was that the data were generated with a
> specification that they come from a population that was N(100, 15).  We
> therefore have prior knowledge that 102 is not the correct answer.

    In a simulation, the specified sampling distribution is "playing the
part" of a sampling distribution; its parameters are thus "unknown for the
purpose of the exercise". Within the
context of the simulation we do *not* know that 102 is not the correct
answer.

> But, if I were in fact trying to guess at the IQ of a population, the data
> from a sample of n = 10 provides precious little information, as you
> clearly demonstrated.  But, if I had to try, my likely null for an unknown
> population would be 100 since that is the normed mean IQ for some
> population and therefor is consistent with prior knowledge. That is a null
> of IQ=100 is a credible true value until I can get better data (it might
> even be the correct value).

    And you still claim not to be a Bayesian? <grin>

> If n = 10 and I cannot reject a null of 100 I certainly agree that the
> corroboration value is low.  But, if n = 100 and I can't reject a null of
> 100 I am starting to see support for 100 as a correct value.  If n = 500
> and I cannot reject a null of 100 would you still demand that I had no
> evidence supporting the null?

    Yes, given that mu=100.5 is part of the alternative

  How about if n = 1000?

    Yes, given that mu=100.1 is part of the alternative

 10,000?

    Yes, given that mu=100.05 is part of the alternative.

    And note that repeating any of these will give the same result with high
probability: you cannot, then, assume that a long sequence of  tests with
n=10,000,  most failing to reject mu=100, provide any evidence whatsoever
that mu is not equal, say, to 100.1 .

-Robert Dawson