Since clustering methods begin with pairwise distances among observations,
why not measure these distances as minimum arc-lengths along the
best-fitting circle (or min chord lengths, or min angular deviations with
respect to the centroid, etc)?  This is how geographic distances are
measured (in 2 dimensions, rather than one) and clustered, and also how
distances are measured among observations in Kendall's shape spaces (e.g.,
Procrustes distances), so there's a well established literature.

Rich Strauss

At 05:32 PM 4/14/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi everybody.
>I face the problem of clustering one-dimensional data that can range in a
>circular way. Does anybody knows the best way to solve this problem with no
>aid of an additional variable ? Using a well-suitable trigonometric
>transform ? Using an ad-hoc metric ?
>Thanks.
>
>Carl

>This list is open to everyone.  Occasionally, less thoughtful
>people send inappropriate messages.  Please DO NOT COMPLAIN TO
>THE POSTMASTER about these messages because the postmaster has no
>way of controlling them, and excessive complaints will result in
>termination of the list.
>
>For information about this list, including information about the
>problem of inappropriate messages and information about how to
>unsubscribe, please see the web page at
>http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

Dr Richard E Strauss
Biological Sciences