Hi Dennis,

Robert's observation is 'spot on' because it is the way things are, rather than the
way we would like to think things are. I (of course) agree that people writing
papers should have some sense of proportion the claims made in their papers.
Nevertheless, if you want to study the gag reflex in humans, you simply cannot take
a simple random sample of all humans, so you have to use a surrogate population of
some sort.

In fact I would claim that except for artificial (ie class room) examples, you
pretty well always have to use surrogate populations. This is of course
particularly true when the population is not well defined. In market research, for
example, when your population allegedly consists of 'customers of XYZ Store', but
equally well in pretty well any branch of research.

It has been my opinion for quite some time now that the uncertainties in
conclusions due to use of surrogate populations, plus those due to measurement (eg
uncertainty in interpretation of questions in a questionnaire), far exceed sampling
errors - probably even exceed nonsampling errors.

However, this is quite consistent with my observations about models. In applying
the results obtained from the surrogate population to the general 'true' population
of interest, we apply those results as a model. If the surrogate population was
well chosen (and the analysis well done) then the model is likely to be reasonably
appropriate. That is, it is likely to 'work'.

It cannot be emphasized too much that the statistical analysis - including the
definition of variables, the design, the collection of data and the analysis of the
data - is simply a part of a process of investigation. This part provides evidence
- to some extent objective, and hopefully objective - which will help the
researcher to argue his or her case. It is only part of the evidence. And that
evidence may be sufficiently strong to persuade the scientific community that the
researcher's argument is valid, or it may not.

Regards,
Alan