I think Introduction to the Practice of Statistics by David S. Moore and
George P. McCabe (published by W. H. Freeman) might meet your critera for
a good book.  I have not seen the 3rd edition which was published in '99,
but I have used the 2nd edition.  The 2nd edition does not require
calculus;  provides a foundation in probability; and uses examples from a
variety of fields: e.g., sports, physics, psychology, and agriculture.

Paul W. Jeffries
Department of Psychology
SUNY--Stony Brook
Stony Brook NY 11794-2500