Hi,

     I encountered a problem in which I don't know whether I should
do a conditional or unconditional expectation on a random variable.  Any
advice will be appreciated.

     A simplified regression problem is formulated as the follows.

           y(i) = x(i) b + e(i) = x(i) b + (u(i) + v(i))
     where e=(u+v) are the composite error,
           u(i) ~ N(mu(i), 1),
           v(i) ~ N(0, 1).

The estimation is carried out using maximum likelihood estimation. Now,
want to do predictions on u(i).  I can do either E(u(i)) (unconditional
expectation) or E(u(i) | e_(i)) (expectation conditional on the
estimated
composite error).  I think if the empirical data is not the whole
population, conditional expectation may be more appropriate; is this
correct?  Anyway, I'd like to know what is the advantage of doing one
over
another, and/or in what situation should I choose one over another.

     Many thanks.