On Sat, 6 May 2000, Jan de Leeuw wrote:

> For this, I think a nice approach is the cross validation method
> discussed by Svante Wold in a Technometrics paper in the seventies
> or early eighties.

For a completely different approach, the following references may be
useful.  Jason Walter's interest appears to lie mainly in reducing the
dimensionality of the data set, if I read his post correctly.  While it
is true that one can decide, more or less rationally, to use fewer than
the  p  principal components drived from  p  original variables, this
does not imply that one can work with fewer than  p  variables, since
every variable loads on every component.  (Sometimes one more or less
arbitrarily drops from a component those variables whose loadings are
less than some threshold value;  but the principle remains.)

Some years back, Professor R. P. Bhargava (now deceased) of The Ontario
Institute for Studies in Education described a method that used a
PCA-like approach to select a subset of the original set of variables,
discarding _variables_ that contribute little to the "explanation" of
total variance among the variables, in a way analogous to the discarding
of unimportant principal components.

Bhargava, R.P. and Ishizuka, T.  Selection of variables from the
        viewpoint of variation - an alternative to principal component
        analysis.  In Proceedings of the Indian Statistical Institute
        Golden Jubilee International Conference on Statistics:
        Application and New Directions, Calcutta, India, 1981, 33-44.

Bhargava, R.P. and Ishizuka, T.  An alternative to principal component
        analysis.  Discussion Paper No.7816.  Indian Statistical
        Institute, 1979, 1-36.

> At 16:15 -0400 05/04/2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in part:

> >We are using PCA, Principal Components Analysis, with arbitrary large
> >datasets.  ... [W]e hope that PCA will significantly reduce the
> >dimensionality of our dataset.  ...  [W]e have decided to look into
> >using stopping rules based on how much residual variability one is
> >willing to accept.  This is where confusion sets in.

        <  snip,  discourse on how to decide how many PCs to keep  >

> >Jason Walter
> >CSC Graduate Student
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                -- DFB.
 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128