From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
On Behalf Of Mike
Sent:   Thursday, May 11, 2000 3:39 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        normality and regression analysis

I would like to obtain a prediction equation using linear regression for
some data that I have collected.  I have read in some stats books that
linear regression has 4 assumptions, 2 of them being that 1) data is
normally distributed and 2) constant variance.  In SAS, I have run
univariate analysis testing for normality on both my dependent and
independent variable (n=147). Both variables have distributions that are
skewed.

For the dependent variable:  skewness=0.69 and Kurtosis=0.25.
For the independent variable: skewness=0.52 and Kurtosis= -0.47.

The normality test (Shapiro-Wilk Statistic) states that both the dependent
and independent variables are not normally distributed.

I have also transformed the data (both dependent and independent variables)
using log, arcsine, and square root transformations.  When I run the
normality tests on the transformed data, the test shows that even the
transformed data is not normally distributed.

I realize that I can use nonparametric tests for correlation (I will use
Spearman), but is there a nonparametric linear regression?  If not, is it
acceptable to use linear regression analysis on data that is not normally
distributed as a way to show there is a linear relationship?

thanks in advance..Mike