Juha Puranen wrote:

> Thom Baguley wrote:
> > Lots of excellent advice. I would add that plots also have the advantage of
> > suggesting a possible solution to any serious violation. For example variance
> > about the regression line increasing with X tends would lead me first to look
> > at transformations such as the log or square root. Failure on a homogeneity
> > test is typically lacking in diagnostic information.
> >
> > Thom
>
> This is not quite true.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. My main point was that the plots
contain more useful diagnostic information than mere significance test
outcomes. I wouldn't (and on rereading don't think I did) advocate any
mechanistic solution to violations of assumptions - it depends on the goals,
severity of violation, domain theory and so on.

Thom