You are doing interesting research, but you should stop believing that
there is a statistical "test" out there that will magically reveal the
stories hidden in your data.
Despite the hype by its proponents I have never been able to use
Correspondence Analysis successfully unless I knew in advance what the
"answer" was.

Life is hard. Tell the story as you see it.

A book that you might find useful is not a statistics book, and it is out
of print, but here is the title and author:
Casual groups of monkeys and men; stochastic models of elemental social
systems
       by Joel E. Cohen
I think it was originally published by MIT Press.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for your comments. Here is some further explanation of my data.
> I observed a group of lemurs twice per week for about five months. I
> observed each animal of 12 for one 25 minute period over the day during
> which at every 20 second interval I recorded:
>
> 1) The behaviour the animal was doing ( e.g. supine lie=55)
>
> 2) The weather ( I catogarized this my self (e.g  Sun 3 very sunny, Sun
> one no sun shining into cage_)
>
> 3) The time slot ( for example 8.00- 8.30 = Time slot 1, 8.31- 9.00
> =time slot 2)
>
> 4)The day
>
> 5) The animal ( 1-12 e.g Cetus=2)
>
> I had two groups 1-6 family group, 7-12 Control group.
>
> After 8 weeks of no manipulation, I placed small mesh between the
> family group cage whilst leaving the control group alone. After 2 weeks
> this was substituted for large mesh, then after two weeks two groups
> were formed male and female (thus animals were let into the cages with
> one another).
>
> I want to look at the influence of my manipulations to monitor the
> reintroduction process but
>
> There are however factors that influenced my data other than the
> manipulations such as sun and time. I noticed that during sun 3 the
> animals tended to sit upright and supine line, whilst during sun 1 they
> tended to curl in a ball. I also noticed that first thing on a morning
> the animals I observed were particularly active whilst after about
> 12.00 they began to just lie about and do very little.
>
> So from this I know that these variables highly influence the
> behavioral repertoire of my animals.
>
> I have been using a count of the behaviours for say each animal and
> then running cluster analysis (to group animals together in respect to
> their behavioral repertoire), then using behavior count for each sun
> category to identify associations and grouping of behaviours with each
> sun value (and then running Principal components and Correspondence
> analysis) then for each time category etc.
>
>  I also know that the way behavior changes with sun depends upon the
> individual so I had hoped to include individual (animal 1-12) into my
> analysis and thus assess the effects of both sun and animal together
> hence I hoped to use caconical correspondence analysis.
>
> The counts for some behaviours (e.g prone lie, self groom are very
> high= 456) whilst the counts for others is low (e.g chatter =. I ran a
> Kolmogren Smirnov that proved the distribution is not normal. The peaks
> of the distribution are in the heads and tails.
>
> The corrlations that I ran were also on counts of the behaviour data.
>
> I apologise if I sound very confused but up until about three weeks ago
> I didnt really know what any of these things were. I tried hiring
> numerous people to help me with my data analysis and even e mailed a
> consulting group at my university to help me but nobody seems to have
> [...]

 `o^o' * Neil W. Henry ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  *
 -<:>- * Virginia Commonwealth University *
 _/ \_ * Richmond VA 23284-2014  *
  *(804)828-1301 x124  (math sciences, 2037c Oliver) *
  *FAX: 828-8785   http://saturn.vcu.edu/~nhenry  *