Thanks for your reply.  I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. The
structure is that these are medical students doing rotations, and evaluating
their professor for each rotation.   The rotations last 6 weeks.

>From: Donald Burrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Karen Scheltema <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: hierarchical linear modeling?
>Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:49:01 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Hi, Karen!  Interesting problem.  You mention students (each of which has
>made a variable multiplicity of ratings on professors), and professors
>(each of which has received a variable multiplicity of ratings from
>students).  You do not mention courses.  Are all these ratings for a
>single course?  (If so, how do you get up to 40 ratings from one
>student??)  If not, I'd be inclined to divide the data by course:
>a professor's "teaching style/ability" might well be different, or
>perceived differently, in different courses.
>       If students do not have multiple professors for a given course,
>this might simplify the structure of your data enough to make the
>problem tractable.  Do there exist replicates (more than one rating of a
>given professor by a given student in a given course)?
>       If students do have multiple professors in a course, can the
>course be separated into components each of which had only one professor?
>This again would simplify the analytical problem.
>       Good luck!                                      -- Don.
>
>On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Karen Scheltema wrote:
>
> > I need some advice about a data set I've inherited.  In the data,
> > students have rated professors on their teaching style/ability.  The
> > problem is that students complete several evaluations of different
> > professors as they go through their rotations.  A student may have
> > completed as many as 40 evaluations.  In addition, each professor has
> > been evaluated by many students.  The research question is looking at
> > various components of teaching ratings to predict overall satisfaction.
> > What I'm struggling with is how to account for the multiple ratings by
> > each student, as well as the fact that each professor has multiple
> > ratings.  I was initially thinking of hierarchical linear modeling,
> > with student being a level of the hierarchical model.  That leaves me
> > wondering how to handle the multiple ratings of each professor.  Any
> > advice on how to analyze this data set would be greatly appreciated.
>
> > Karen Scheltema, M.A., M.S.
> > Statistician
> > HealthEast
> > 1700 University Ave W
> > St. Paul, MN 55104
> > (651) 232-5212   fax: (651) 641-0683

>  Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
>  184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128

Karen Scheltema, M.A., M.S.
Statistician
HealthEast
Office of Research and Medical Education
1700 University Ave W
St. Paul, MN 55104
(651) 232-5212   fax: (651) 641-0683