The easiest way is to use Adobe Acrobat: it installs
a virtual printer, every time you print to the Acrobat virtual
printer it generates the *.pdf file.
>From Word or other software, open the *.doc or *.ppt file,
page setup, select printer "Acrobat PDF Writer", print,
click confirm to save the corresponding *.pdf file.

Less obvious ways: I believe I've seen somewhere that Corel Draw
supports directly PDF, though I have no experience of it.

regards,
Vincent