On 6 Aug 2000 10:26:02 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hayden)
wrote:

 < snip, re:  a fortiori >
> Now, does anyone know of a reference where one could look up phrases?
> For example, "like a chicken with its head cut off".  Very short
> phrases are sometimes in dictionaries under the main word ("battle
> fatigue" might be under either word) but longer phrases are generally
> not. Certain ones are in collections of quotations, but probably not
> this one.  (I grew up in a rural setting and think most people would
> want much detail on this example.)

Do people really *want*  detail on that example?  I suspect that image
would be used a lot less if more people knew it.

The Oxford English Dictionary has surprised me with detail and
definition for longer phrases than "battle fatigue."  I am happy that
my university's library system provides access to OED by site
licensing; I think it is rather expensive for the individual.

'alt.usage.english'  is a usenet group that has tackled various
phrases, both for meaning and for origin.  Their FAQ has good
information available online (and regularly re-posted), that you
should check before posting a question to the group.  You might find
your phrase or a reference source that has it.

Here is some information from aue's FAQ, Intro G.
===================================
Newcomers to alt.usage.english are strongly advised to make use of the
AUE Website documents, links for which can all be found on a single
page.

1. Where can you find the AUE Website?

It can be reached two ways:

http://go.to/aue/
   An easy-to-remember URL that will automatically redirect to

http://www.alt-usage-english.org/
   The Webfusion AUE Website

2. What will you find at the AUE Website?

-- Introduction to alt.usage.english
A series of seven documents that are posted regularly in the newsgroup
alt.usage.english, approximately one every two days. The current
titles in the series are:

   - Intro A: Welcome to AUE and Guidelines for Posting
   - Intro B: Useful Web Sites for AUE Participants
   - Intro C: Mini-FAQ on Words and Phrases
   - Intro D: Mini-FAQ on Grammar, Usage and Punctuation
   - Intro E: Mini-FAQ on Spelling
   - Intro F: AUE FAQ Contents
   - Intro G: Where is the FAQ?

-- Mark Israel's AUE FAQ
The AUE FAQ is a large document edited by Mark Israel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and was last updated by him in September 1997.
This version uses HTML to link the various sections and to make
recommended URLs "live."  (For other versions of this document, see
Section II, below.)

-- Fast-Access FAQ
The quickest way to use the Mark Israel's FAQ. Find desired entry in
the Table of Contents, click, and see that section only. Saves loading
time.

-- AUE FAQ Supplement
Numerous topics not covered in the regular FAQ, and some updated URLs.
Please submit entries to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

-- NEW -- "Search This Site"
This link offers two new methods to search for topics in the AUE FAQ,
AUE FAQ Supplement, Intro docs, and more.

-- Other resources
The Audio Archives (primarily to study regional pronunciations), and
the guides to learning ASCII IPA notation are found here.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html