----- Original Message -----
From: Li0N_iN_0iL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: likelihood

> David A. Heiser wrote:

> >Second, one needs to read Fisher's insight into Bayes original work to
> >understand Fisher's view of probability.

 Li0N_iN_0iL  Replied:

> The only discernable connection between Bayes original work and Fisher's
> view of probability is that they are both discussed in Chapter 2 of his
> 1956 book, "Scientific Inference".

My reply is that you need to read the entire book.

My view of his insights are:
1. Bayes established a mathematical base for p as being a value between
limits (the differential p and integral concepts)
2. That the 'a priori' was factual, not axiomatic.
3. That observable data has more information content than an assertion of
certain fact, which in turn has more information then a statement of
complete ignorance.
4. That the data or the extent of our factual knowledge should be the
determiner of whether we apply Bayesian or frequentist or other methods.

DAHeiser