For openers, you're going to have to describe your problem with a good
deal more precision, in order for anyone to provide any kind of useful
help.

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Veeral Patel wrote:

> I have a data whose histogram has a unique distribution exhibited by
> it.  I am trying to fit different curves to the data and to see which
> one has the best fit.
                        How did you have in mind assessing goodness of
fit?  None of your subsequent remarks address this point.

> The first one I am trying is gamma, i got my optimum alpha and beta
> values.  And then simply fed my data (x values) into the gamma
> distribution function and got my f(x) values.

At this point it would be reasonable to ask how well f(x) for each  x
agrees with the data  h(x)  [for your initial histogram of  x ].

> Now the question is how do I plot these.

It is not entirely clear what you want to mean by "these".  What
information do you want to display, and what utility do you want the
display to have?  If you mean "plot f(x) vs. x", what do you expect
the plot to tell you?

> I looked at books and for the distribution plots they like have  f(x)
> on the vertical axis and quantile values on the horizontal.  Now how do
> I obtain the quantiles or is there another way to do the plot of f(x)
> and  x??  because if i plot f(x) and x i get weird looking lines on the
> graph.
                What do you mean by "plot f(x) and x"?  If you were
plotting  f(x) vs. x  (as one would expect), you should produce a plot
of the gamma function.  On the other hand, such a plot would provide no
obvious information about how well the gamma function fits the original
histogram.  Perhaps there are some salient features of your analysis
that you haven't yet told us.
        It is impossible to diagnose problems that are described merely
as "weird looking".

 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128