It's not software, but there used to be a book that I found useful for
this purpose with respect to statistics:

Clark & Tarter, "Preparation for Basic Statistics", McGraw-Hill (I
think), originally published about 1965 to 1970 or so.  I don't know
whether it (or a subsequent edition) is still in print.

It's a programmed text, the kind that has blanks in the paragraphs, with
the proper terms in the outside margin, and one is supposed to read it
with a 3x5 card in hand to cover the terms until one needs them.
Arranged in about 15 chapters, with a one-page pretest and a longer
posttest for each chapter;  using the pretest the reader could discover
whether s/he already knew the material in the chapter.
        The content I generally describe as a review of Grade 10 algebra
as it would have been taught if statistics was to be taught in Grade 11:
there were chapters on binomial theorem and logarithms and such, but also
on subscripts and summation signs, for example.
        Hope this helps!
                                -- Don.

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Andrew McLachlan wrote:

> Here at my university, the Student Learning Centre (SLC) provides
> additional maths and statistics tuition for those struggling with
> first year courses. (They teach many other things as well.)
>
> The SLC wants to know if there are any software teaching packages that
> they could get for students, for example on a CD, that the student
> could take away and work on themselves (or run from the university
> network).  In particular, the SLC is interested in packages or
> tutorials that are useful for bridging from high school level (years
> 11 & 12) to first year university level.
>
> Of particular interest are the subjects calculus, and statistics.
> Price is not important at this stage in the search.
>
> Does anyone have experience using such software?
> Can anyone suggest products or URLs?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Andrew McLachlan,  PhD Student.       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Ecology & Entomology Group,  P.O. Box 84,  Lincoln University,
> Canterbury,  New Zealand.  ph. +64 3 325-2811,  fax. +64 3 325-3844.

 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128