I would appreciate any advice offered on a question of analysis method
for an experiment we are planning.
Having recently acquired eye-tracking equipment (point-of-regard on a pc
screen), we want to test whether operators (in this case Air Traffic
Controllers) are looking at their cursor when they click with the mouse.
We can record the position of the cursor on the screen each time the
mouse is clicked. Thus for each operator we can collect a time history
of (x,y) values for the cursor and (X,Y) values for the point of regard.

Normally I would simply plan to test that mean(x-X) and mean(y-Y) were
zero. However, there is a documented tendency for this sort of equipment
to drift over time i.e. the precision of X,Y degrades.
Is some sort of analysis of covariance with time as the covariant
appropriate? Presumabley this can only work if the drift function is
linear in time?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree completely?