michael ... the model of simple regression to help define
over/underachievement is not mine ... it is just the standard way it is
defined ... particularly within psychology ... there may be other
connotations but, i believe i am correct in saying that this is the
commonplace technical one ... i believe that robert thorndike  was
responsible in making this distinction in reference to gaps between
predicted achievement and actual achievement ...

if we did not use predicted achievement ... then low ability folks would
always be overachievers and high ability folks would be underachievers ...
just because of the regression to the mean phenomenon ...

as for bringing in motivation ... while i know that this variable impacts
on effort and learning ... i am not sure i want to include it in the model
for over and underachievement (though i am not sure about this) since ...
one might be able to do something because of one's ability ... but, clearly
not motivated ... so, we get a depressed expectation (if motivation is in
the model) of achievement NOT due to one's capacity (whatever that means)
to perform the task but rather, ones "stubbornness" (if i might phrase it
that way) to actually perform the task ...

however, since i am not fond of this concept anyway ... i am not sure i
want to pursue a more accurate model for predicting achievement IN the
context of comparing it to measured ability ...

i am certainly interested in a better model for predicting achievement ...
just not over and underachievement ...

i do know that schools and school personnel ... make a big issue out of
this ... particularly underachievment and, i think in general, this is a
dangerous and not really a validated notion ...

we are using these GAP measures (between predicted and actual achievement)
to define over and underachievment and, we know that difference values are
notoriously unreliable ...

and as i said before ... this definition is based on the ERRORS in the
model ... not some "latent" characteristic of the student ...

At 11:27 AM 10/3/00 -0500, Michael Granaas wrote:

>Ok, I'll play.  Please keep in mind that these thoughts are still rough
>and are put forward in that form.
dennis roberts, penn state university
educational psychology, 8148632401
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm