( better late than never. )
This might be relevant to Steve's request.
On 1 Sep 2000 16:20:13 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon, Steve, PhD)
wrote:

> I need to find a good reference that critiques the use of post hoc power
> calculations--in particular those calculations that use the observed effect
> size rather than an effect size which is clinically relevant.

"A note on misconceptions concerning prospective and retrospective
power," by Bruno D. Zumbo and Anita M. Hubley.  The Statistician
(1998) 47, Part 2, pp. 385-388.

  ... ' We suggest that it is nonsensical to make power calculations
*after* a study has been conducted....'    And they say, report the
effect size.

They say, "retrospective power"  only makes sense in a (non-research)
setting where you know the ultimate truth and falsity.

http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html