>This has got to be one of the funniest things I have read on a stats
>newsgroup. I'm sure its not really meant to be funny, but the thought
>of truckloads upon truckload of rats arriving to satisfy power
>requirements puts a highly amusing spin on the whole thing. :)
>I am stifling an insane cackle because I know statistics is a serious
>business but really....
>
>Cheers,
>Chris

whether you need 21,000 rats ... or 45 ... or anything below or above ...
depends to a large extent on what kind of impact the treatment has ...
sure, if the treatment or experimental condition has but a trivial (but
real) effect ... then n has to be relatively large ... whether it be rats
or humans ... but if the impact is rather large ... you don't need 21,000 EVER

many eons ago ... i was doing some studies comparing Ss who had access to
calculators and Ss who did not ... on the solution of statistical problems
and, i measured things like #correct ... and time to completion ... and a
ratio of the two which i called efficiency .... now, for the time measure
... the difference was so large ... i could have detected this difference
with ns of 3 or 4 in each group ... NO problem ...

so, it all depends