Jerry Dallal wrote:

> I have a note from Frank Anscombe in my files.  It says, "Cardano.
> See the bit from "De Vita Propria" at the head of Chap. 6 of FN
> David's "Games, Gods, and Gambling (1962).  That shows that the idea
> of a test of significance, informally described, is very ancient."
> I don't have David's book with me, but I do recall that Cardano
> flourished around 1650.

We all do significance tests everyday! When someone tells you something,
you test its truth against your experience. 'You have to convince me of
the truth of that!'

Well, some of us believe anything we are told, maybe most of us believe
anything that is told to us by an 'authority'.  I guess the fundamental
feature of the scientific approach is to insist on evidence (not proof )
before we accept 'it' as (probably) valid.

--
Alan McLean (alan.buseco.monash.edu.au)
Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics