Reference:  Lande, R.  1977.  On comparing coefficients of variation.
Systematic Zoology 26:214-217.

Simplest approach: since the squared CV is approximately equal to the
variance of the log-transformed data for CV < 30% or so, compare the
squared CVs with an F-test or equivalent.  Or, compare the variances of the
original log-transformed data using Levene's test or equivalent.

Rich Strauss

At 07:56 AM 10/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>My question is on a test to compare CVs.  The CVs are computed using the
>same data but two different variance methods and I have to compare them.
>Been told there is no real test and as of yet have not checked the Current
>Index of Stat books but wondered if someone in the group has had this
>problem.  Someone suggested that take one of the Cvs and make it the
>population CV and do 95% C.I. around that.  Any suggestions??  Thanks.

Dr Richard E Strauss
Biological Sciences
Texas Tech University
Lubbock TX 79409-3131

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (formerly [EMAIL PROTECTED])
Phone: 806-742-2719
Fax: 806-742-2963