In article <8trqbp$eg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <8tr56a$gci$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Comments, please, on the relative merits of the standard textbooks:

[snip]

> Depends on your purpose? Textbook for an introductory course? Self-
> study? Reference?

Self-study and reference. Though not a math major, I have a strong math
background (PhD in Physics). Having switched careers (into mathematical
finance), I need both deeper and broader capability in statistics.
Ideally, I'd like a book which pays enough attention to clarity and
comprehensibility to be useful for self-study, yet which is complete
enough to be usable as a reference.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.