In article <001801c04d82$38529f80$70690e3f@wards>,
Joe Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does anyone know WHY so many states DON'T DO IT THIS WAY?
>Perhaps the Political Science/History folks can comment.

The principal reason is that the two major parties want
to keep their position AS PARTIES.  If you read the
Constitution, there is no mention of parties, and it
was expected that the Electors would be people of trust,
who would use their judgment.  The near catastrophe of
1800 caused separate voting for President and Vice-President.

Even worse is plurality voting.  But doing something
about it would weaken the Demopublicans.

As it stands now, probably 2/3 of the people are not
"represented" by someone who agrees with them.
--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558