In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rich Ulrich  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There is another definition [ of "Type III error" ] cited a few
> times which is seemingly technical, "rejecting the null, but in the
> wrong direction".  I think that is a similar sneer at bone-headedness.
> There is no "wrong direction" with a two-tailed test...

Are you really suggesting that researchers who reject H0: mu=0 with a
two-tailed test act thereafter as if they know that mu is not zero,
but have no idea whether it's positive or negative?  I think this is
highly implausible.  Such "Type III" errors seems to me to be quite on
a par with Type I and Type II errors.

   Radford Neal