I did not see the original posting, but I guess it asks about
S-Stress. This is the loss function used in ALSCAL and other
programs that minimize squared deviations between dissimilarities
and squared distances. Details are in any MDS book, for instance

Cox & Cox, Multidimensional Scaling, Chapman and Hall, 1994
Borg and Groenen, Modern Multidimensional Scaling, Springer, 1997

The Takane, Young, De Leeuw reference in Psychometrika, 1977, is
indeed the canonical one.

Another key reference comparing loss functions, algorithms, and so
on is

De Leeuw & Heiser, Theory of Mutlidimensional Scaling, in Handbook
of Statistics, Volume II, North-Holland, 1982
===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical Software;
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~deleeuw
         No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                  http://www.stat.ucla.edu/sounds/nomatter.au