On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Ronald Bloom wrote:

> Michael Granaas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > Gore also won consistently among minorities and lower income groups.  In
> > those cases the stereotype is dead on.
> >
> > Michael
> >

>   Does this correlate in your view with a higher likelihood
> of their submitting fouled or otherwise invalid punched ballot cards?

Immediately prior to the quoted statement I said:

"Given this information, and unsubstaintiated (to my knowledge) reports
that the Gore campaign was busing in nursing home residents to vote,
problems of the elderly seem to be a much more likely explanation for
ballot marking problems than education."

I should qualify by saying that if the allegations of busing of nursing
home residents are false then problems of the elderly become much less
likely as an explanation.

I have no information one way or the other that would allow me to comment
on the propensity of minority voters to mispunch a ballot.  I was only
commenting on the stereotype of democratic voters as minorities,
uneducated, elderly, and I forget the other.

Minorities, the least educated, and elderly did all vote, on a majority
basis, for Gore.  So did the most educated and youngest voters.  So, we
cannot simply assume that Gore voters were uneducated minorities of an
advanced age.  That is all I was trying to contribute.

Michael

> Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
> the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

Michael M. Granaas
Associate Professor                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology
University of South Dakota             Phone: (605) 677-5295
Vermillion, SD  57069                  FAX:   (605) 677-6604
All views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily
reflect those of the University of South Dakota, or the South
Dakota Board of Regents.