I agree with Dennis Roberts.

Te mean, the variance, the median, the mode are quantities which are computed theoretically for a distribution.

Then , we have the sample mean, sample variance, sample median which are random variables computed from samples. Like any random variables the sample mean sample variance and sample median have a variance...

But as I know, there is no sample mode ! May be it is possible to derive one, but it seems not obvious for me.

dennis roberts wrote:

problem here is that there is NO agreed to  operational definition of the
mode ... and if that is the case, difficult to find a variance around it(them)

At 10:06 PM 12/4/00 -0600, Alireza Tahai wrote:
>Hello,
>Would you answer the following two questions,
>1) I know the variance of mean and median.  What is the variance of mode?
>2) Under what condition we can say mode is a better estimate of population
>average than mean or median.  For example, when the distribution of a
>variable is Gamma, then mean, median or mode which one is a better estimate
>for population average.  Thank you in advance.  A. Tahai

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                 http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, penn state university
educational psychology, 8148632401
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm

CASTAGLIOLA Philippe
ECOLE DES MINES DE NANTES          | IRCCyN, UMR CNRS 6597

Dept. Automatique & Productique    | 1 rue de la Noë
4 rue Alfred Kastler, La Chantrerie| BP 92101, 44321 Nantes Cedex 03
BP 20722, 44307 Nantes Cedex 3     |
-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------
Tel: (+33) 251.858.309             | +(33) 240.376.970
Fax: (+33) 251.858.349             | +(33) 240.376.930
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.emn.fr/castagliola |

begin:vcard
n:CASTAGLIOLA;Philippe
tel;fax:(+33) 251.858.349
tel;work:(+33) 251.858.309
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.emn.fr/castagliola/
org:Ecole des Mines de Nantes / IRCCyN;Dept Automatique & Productique
adr:;;La Chantrerie, 4 rue Alfred Kastler;Nantes;;44307;France
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Associate Professor
x-mozilla-cpt:;-10808