On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 the anonymous correspondent
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> Where can I find authoritative data on the undervotes observed in the
> various counties in Florida for the Presidential Election?
>
> My students have suggested that a t-test should be applied determine
> the level of confidence in the assertion that the punch card systems
> produced five times as many undervotes compared to the optical scanning
> system.

And you didn't point out to them that a t-test (or any other statistical
test, for that matter) is not applicable to a census?

If you agree (implicitly) with your students' (implicit) assertion that
the Florida votes represent a random sample drawn from a population in
which one might be interested:  (1) What is the population to which you
think the sample refers?  (2) On what grounds can the present sample (if
indeed it IS a sample) be described as "random"?

> I already have the machine systems by county, but need the
> undervote by county (to link the two). They have already determined
> that simple comparison of the bulk averages is insufficient to support
> the argument.
>
> This would be a nice demonstration for my Intro class.

A nice opportunity to point out what statistics is, and isn't, about,
perhaps;  it is not at all clear what it might be a demonstration OF,
apart from egregious misinterpretation of statistical theory and
practice.
                        -- DFB.
 Donald F. Burrill                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                             (603) 535-2597
 Department of Mathematics, Boston University                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 111 Cummington Street, room 261, Boston, MA 02215       (617) 353-5288
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                      (603) 471-7128