"dennis roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> bob hayden at plymouth state college has been "collecting" emails over
some
> period of time that have some bearing, either real or imagined, on
> statistical (perhaps methodological more broadly defined) issues that we
> might glean from the recent election results in florida.
>
> at .... http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/flaelection.htm
>

> THE GOAL OF ALL OF THIS IS TO SEE IF WE CAN SIFT SOME METHODOLOGICAL
ISSUES
> (primarily statistical) THAT ARE WORTHY OF CATALOGING AND DISCUSSION
(for
> students and others)

Oh dear. Had I known that Bob and Dennis would be archiving these
messages, I would have composed my words with greater care.

In any event, since Edstat is mirrored on sci.stat.edu, one can get
something similar by doing a deja.com search of the sci.stat.edu archives.
Go to http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml and fill in the blanks specifying
sci.stat.edu, a date range, and the keyword "election."  This has the
advantage of maintaining thread context, (click on any relevant message,
then click on the "thread" button at the upper left) but it's not as handy
as Dennis' single file.

As for educational content, reading through the threaded messages in
sci.stat.edu (as well as some in sci.stat.math) reminds me of one of the
best lessons I was taught in grad school. Following a particularly
disastrous auto da fe (aka the weekly brownbag seminar) the department
chair drew me aside and quoted H.L. Mencken: "Never argue with a man whose
reputation depends on not being convinced." He paused for two beats to let
that sink in then added, "A corollary is: 'You can lead a horse's ass to
water but you can't make him think.'"

--Robert Chung