Chris Chiu wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> Does anyone know / remember how to obtain the standard deviation of a set
> of numbers given only a frequency table?
>
> e.g.,
> x    f(x)
> 0    0.2
> 1    0.3
> 2    0.2
> 3    0.2
> 4    0.1

        (0) This is not a frequency table, it's a relative frequency table.
Such a representation is appropriate for _populations_ so we shouldn't
worry about the "N-1"
correction, which is just as well since we cannot find N from these
data.

        (1) Compute the mean as sum [x * f(x)] : 0x0.2 + ...

        (2) Compute the deviations from the mean:

> x-mu    f(x)
> -1.7    0.2

        (3) Compute the mean square:

        (3a) If this is a poorly-condensed representation of a small sample,
YOU WILL NEED TO GET N FROM SOMEWHERE.  Then multiply by N and divide by
N-1.  And pencil in some time on your planner to tell off the person who
mangled the data.  Or combine the two exercises by making _them_ do the
correction...

        (4) Take the square root, get sigma.

        -Robert Dawson