I am using non-linear regression to fit electophysiological data (current vs t)
to exponential equations. I am using an F-test on the residual sum of squares
to determine how many components are required. A typical trace will have
several thousand points. Question: If I use an adjacent average technique to
smooth the data, (i.e keeping the number of points the same) am I justified in
using the same degrees of freedom for the F test as I would with the raw data
(Number of points -number of parameters)? Thnak you.