All -

I have a problem which I am hoping someone can help me solve.  (No, this is
not a problem from class, but a real-life problem from industry.)

A product has a specification of <= 1 defect/10 cm^2.  The product has an
overall surface area of X cm^2.  While this specification was not obtained
based on an analysis of the alpha & beta risks for acceptance sampling, the
specification itself implies an alpha & beta level.  Is there a simple way
to calculate how the alpha and beta risks would be affected by a change in
sample from 10 cm^2 to 5 cm^2?  Specifically, if someone accidentally
sampled 5 cm^2 and found 1 defect, what could you say about the status of
the product?

Thanks.

        - Eric Scharin