At 03:57 PM 1/17/01 -0500, Rich Ulrich wrote:

>  - Okay, here is my answer before I repeat the official ones.
>The "greatest possible difference"  is *at least*  one foot.
>If this is a dedicated math question, the aspect of roundoff should
>give "one foot (minimum)";  and any slightest introduction of realism
>implies some  *error-in-measurement*  to be added on.

ok ... even if so ... what is a reasonable error that could be added on to
come to the conclusion of answer D? this would have to imply that two
errors in the opposite direction occur simultaneously ... the error
overshoots truth one way ... hence you round up ... whereas the errors
undershoots truth the other way ... hence you round down ... this is not "
... slightest introduction of realism ... "

>Thus, the  "greatest possible difference"  is one-foot, plus the
>amounts on  BOTH SIDES  of the error distribution -- whether that is
>in quarter-inches or angstroms.  => something more than 1 foot.
>  - Now, look at the answers.
>

> > >A. One jump could be up to 1/4 foot longer than the other.
> > >B. One jump could be up to 1/2 foot longer than the other.
> > >C. One jump could be up to 1 foot longer than the other.
> > >D. One jump could be up to 2 feet longer than the other.

rich tries to clarify this problem but ... i don't think is successful IN
RELATION TO THE GIVEN ANSWERS

now, we are assuming aren't we that someone did the measuring WITH a
"qualified measuring rule ... we know of course that (just like the "chain"
for measuring first downs in a football game) it could be stretched more or
less taut ... but, what would be some reasonable limit for tautness or
UNtautness without the competitor screaming bloody murder??? thus, we could
say ... if the distance was measured withOUT error .. the greatest distance
would be 1 foot ...

given that there is no indication in this item of anything to do with
MEASUREMENT ERROR ... WE CANNOT ASSUME ANYTHING ABOUT THAT CONCEPT

i would suggest that given the way this item is stated ... that is, what is
said and what is not said ... we have to assume that whatever the
measurement was ... it was correct and, all that would be done given that
it is said "to the nearest foot" ... that either rounding up or down
according to the standard system of rounding ... would have to apply

it you are really arguing that this item is trying to "test" for more ...
then, this item is not a simple math item ... and i think you would have a
hard time saying that a person who answered D really knows more than the
person who answers C ... given what is said and implied in this item ...
however, if you answered A or B ... you do have a problem!

some might call this a classic trick item ... where it hopes that some will
not even consider measurement error ... or, read the item in such a way
that the thought of measurement error never even enters their mind ...

and, should it? not unless this is a test not about math so much but, about
measurement ...