I appreciate your thoughts, and I write with
hesitation, since I don't really want to get
involved in a bootless controversy.

However, much of the information that I have seen
in general purpose "histories" is not what it
should be -- some of those on the internet are
quite flawed especially the "treasure trove" that
you referenced, and of course the Encyclopaedia
Britanica has always been in a class by itself.

Gauss did so much and was such a great man that
the is often credited where he should not be. I
would place long odds on what Herman said about
"eigenvalue"  being correct. On this sort of thing
he is seldom wrong. There are a number of reliable
histories of statistics. Hald has written and
extensive one, and of course the  most readable
are those by Stigler. You will of course find
justification for my comments therein, and as for
Fisher, one only has to read his papers.

--
Bob Wheeler --- (Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
        ECHIP, Inc.