It is a matter of emphasis. Both regression and
ANOVA are techniques for dealing with linear
models. ANOVA focuses on experiments where the
variables may be random and where there may be
several error terms. Regression on models which
tend to have fixed, continuous, independent fixed
variables and a single error term. To say that
ANOVA is a special case of regression, in effect
redefines regression as "linear model analysis,"
which can be done, but is a stretch. As definitive
a statement as is likely to be find is given by
Scheffé in The analysis of variance (1959), and a
good discussion of using multiple regression to
perform some ANOVA calculations for fixed effect
models is given in Draper and Smith's  Applied
regression analysis (1966).

I speculate that this now seems confusing because
texts in applied areas have perhaps dwelt too
heavily on the mechanics of ANOVA calculations and
mentioned the linear model part only briefly. The
upshot is that students in those areas are
surprised when the linear model part is called to
their attention, and apparently Jacob Cohen (1968)
felt strongly enough about it to write a paper
explaining the connection. Standard statistical
texts have always insisted on the mathematics, and
Kempthorne for example in Design and analysis of
experiments (1952) takes great pains to structure
ANOVA in terms of linear models -- he even derives
the normal equations.

--
Bob Wheeler --- (Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
        ECHIP, Inc.