On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:57:02 -0500, "K. Bloom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I just ran some data through a simple one way polynomial analysis in spss.
> I had 3 groups and very unequal n's.  By hand, I calculated the contrast
> estimates for both the linear and quadratic trends using the unweighted
> formula for determining coefficients. The value I got was different than the
> value of contrast estimates I got from the spss printout.  So I tried to
> compute new coefficients weighted for sample sizes.  But when I did that I
> got bizarre linear and quadratic contrast estimates.  Help.
>
> Here are my data for the three groups...

< snip, detail of problem, possible solutions ...>

> perhaps someone knows that formula that spss uses to calculate the
> polynomial contrast estimates.

I've had trouble navigating the SPSS site,
so I finally bookmarked the algorithms.

SPSS documents this one at -
  http://www.spss.com/tech/stat/algorithms/oneway.pdf

It appears that  "group" codes are used as codes for spacing.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html