On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 06:28:23 GMT, "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

< snip >
> Assuming a normal distribution, what method should I use to calculate my
> averages? Should I simply take the sample mean?

 - I think your problem is that you  *don't*  want to assume a normal
distribution.  For 'normal', once you tell the mean and SD, you have
said everything that is interesting about the single variable.

>                               Should I remove anomalies
> like 112% margins? Should I calculate upper and lower control limits and
> place my data into a normal curve?

>From what you described, 112% is virtually impossible.  It means (as I
read it) that someone paid you to take the product that you then sold.

Are you in a re-cycling business?
Does that still leave "margin" as a useful amount?

You say you have a lot of data.  You can present a lot of detail by
categorizing "margin" into bins; then make tables with  Products-by-
bins.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html